Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Craig's List part II

CRAIGS LIST in Alaska appears to be the go to place. Below is an article about the huge response received when a dead moose was put on CRAIGS LIST in Anchorage. The response was bigger than our rolls of blue carpet (more carpet will be ripped out of the house soon, so stand by CRAIGS LIST watchers). It makes me laugh.

Alaskans find takers for dead moose online
CRAIGSLIST: Interest is high, but giving away carcasses is risky, biologist says.
By
JAMES HALPINjhalpin@adn.com
Published: May 20th, 2008 01:47 AMLast Modified: May 20th, 2008 03:51 PM
When a 300-pound yearling moose stumbled into Calvin Hay's Hillside yard and died this month, he called the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, expecting the carcass would get hauled away.

Instead, he found out he was on his own.
"I guess I assumed that they would come deal with it," he said. "I kind of joked around a little bit; I said, wait a minute, aren't you the guys that say moose are, like, natural resources and they belong to all of us, but now that it's dead, it belongs to me?"
Turns out that's about right. So Hay, 46, posted an ad for a "dead moose" on Craigslist, a classified ad Web site, becoming at least the second person to do so in Anchorage this spring.
"You could use it for dog food or stuff it and put it (in) your front yard, bear bait, whatever," says the ad. "If you live in the Lower 48, this might be your best opportunity to get a free Alaska moose. I don't really care; I just want it out of my yard."
Within minutes, the responses began flooding in, he said. He got at least 50, including one poster who offered to take just a quarter: "I want it. But I can only take a haunch. I got only a small knife and a bicycle."
When moose die and their meat is deemed inedible -- often because the cause of death is unknown -- they become the responsibility of whoever owns the land they end up on, said Rick Sinnott, the Anchorage-area wildlife biologist for Fish and Game. When they die on public land, the responsible agency takes care of removing the carcass. On private land, it's up to the owner.

I think I have seen that guy that only has a small knife and a bicycle.

No comments: